Built in 1770, this Grade II listed townhouse was once the site of the renowned Lefevre Art Gallery. It is located in the heart of the Mayfair Conservation Area and houses an abundance of original features including modillion cornices and ornate Rococo architrave chimneypieces.
A fundamental part of the brief for this project was to retain and restore as much of the character as possible, whilst also making it work as a series of functional retail spaces. From the marble fireplaces to the neo-classical columns, all features were carefully protected throughout the works and the focus was on enhancing the building fabric rather than concealing it.
The store’s design remains faithful to the context, location and history of the building and follows the aesthetic of Nanushka’s flagship store in Budapest. The oak parquet flooring was hand cut on site and all the wooden detailing is either reclaimed or sustainably sourced.
The sensitive use of lighting, furnishings and luxury materials create a warm and welcoming feel to the public spaces, and this is echoed throughout the building.
The ground floor features a patio garden and a conservatory which is flooded with natural light and houses a contemporary café, the counter of which was inspired by one of the original fireplaces.
The myrtle displays and mirrors on the ground floor give the illusion of walking into a dressing room at a luxury residence and the first floor is imagined as a sequence of lounge-like rooms, with custom-made tables, sofas, triptych mirrors and Hungarian wooden totems.
This store encourages a sense of community and is an important step in the growth of the brand – becoming the third Nanushka flagship globally.